Monday 8 October 2012

Drawing curves with EQ7 - tutorial

I was planning to write another Electric Quilt 7 tutorial for a long time. This time on drawing curves (very useful feature I have to admit). 
Last time I didn't really finish any new project that I could show you now (I have one EPP finished which I will show on 27th of October, I've made some purses for my shop but don't have photos yet and I had a trial week in a new job :) ), I decided that it's a good time for writing a tutorial :) 

Tak tytulem wstepu tylko. Niewiele szylam przez ostatnie dwa tygodnie. Tzn. szylam, ale niewiele skonczylam. Duzo czasu zajal mi projekt English Paper Piecing (ktory bede mogla pokazac dopiero 27go pazdziernika), uszylam kilka nowych portmonetek do sklepu (ale nie porobilam jeszcze zdjec), mialam tydzien probny w potencjalnej nowej pracy (moze sie uda :) ), no wiec tutek wydawal mi sie najlepszym rozwiazaniem. Bedzie po ang, zeby nie balaganic. Jest duzo print screenow po drodze i mysle, ze nie jest trudny. To kolejny tutek z serii o Electrc Quilt 7, tym razem jak rysowac luki w tym programie. 
I pytanie do was - jest jakis konkretny tutorial, ktory chcielibyscie zobaczyc na moim blogu? Teraz w sieci jest tyle tutkow, ze nie chcialabym pisac o czyms, o czym kilkanascie(dziesiat) osob juz napisalo ;)

** question: is there any special tutorial which you would like to see on my blog? I'm open to anything :) **



First of all, you will need an idea which kind of block you want to sew. You can of course draw the block templates by hand (it's especially easy when you have some special curved rulers), at the end just adding the seam allowance to the pieces. No problem. I was drawing curves like that, before I learned how to do it in EQ7. But it's (i) time consuming, (ii) might be not really so acurate and (iii) did I mention time consuming? I always hated drawing seam allowances around each part; it was taking ages. 

As in my first EQ7 tutorial, in this one I will base my work on an already existing picture. I was drawing 2 different blocks with curved pieces in Photoshop to show you how EQ7 works:


Worktable ->Work on Block 
Block -> Easy Draw Block [1]
Tracing image tab on the bottom left [2] -> Import Image Icon [3]


Names of the buttons on the left sidebar:

The picture is already displayed. 
Choose Easy Draw tab [1].
Be sure to choose 'Snap to lines and arcs of drawing' button as well as 'Snap to nodes of drawing' (this one is especially important if you are drawing multiple arcs in one shape  - more details later) on the top (right) sidebar.

Choose Arc tool [2]:


Left click at the point you want to start drawing curve [1] and drag the line (left mouse button pressed all the time) to the end point [2]. Now you have drawn a curved line, which is anchored to the edges of your block. What you still need is to adjust the shape of the curve to your needs.


Click 'Shape' tool [1] and left click on the curves line which you want to edit. Two dotted lines meeting in one point will show. Left click on that point [2] and - pressing the left mouse button all the time - start to move the point around. You will see how the shape of the arc will change:


If you are happy with the result and the arc matches the shape of the curve on your picture (for those who do not use picture as a template  - you can just play with the curves' shapes as you like), just stop pressing left mouse button. The curve will stay as it is:


When you press Color Tab (bottom of the window) you can see that drawing the curve was succesful: 

 

Continue with other curves in the same way. For printing the pattern (more details on this topic in the first EQ7 titorial) I choose or 'Foudation pattern' or 'Templates' (if you choose 'Foundation pattern' you have a possibility to print mirrored templates while when selecting 'Templates', the templates will be not mirrored). Of course you cannot foundation (paper) piece curved templates. Such option of printing gives you just chance to get mirrored templates.

 

But what if you drag at the arc and it just doesn't want to create a line in the shape you like? Method shown above works perfectly for gentle curves.

 

What works the best for me is drawing multiple arcs to create one shape. How many arcs? You just have to try. Usually 3-5 work for me.
Remember about top right buttons - 'Snap to lines and arcs of drawing' and 'Snap to nodes of drawing.  

Draw the first arc:


Second arc will start where the first one ended, the third where the second ended (and in this case, will anchor te shape to the edge of the block):


Click on 'Color' Tab to see if your drawing worked (sometimes it happens, that some lines do not snap where they should; I click on 'Color' tab several times while I draw; it helps correct mistakes quickly):


Draw all the shapes in the same way. As you can see, for creating one curve I've drawn 3 arcs, for another - 4 arcs.



Hope the tutorial was a bit helpful :) If you have any questions, I will do my best to help you.

5 comments:

  1. This is a very helpful tutorial. I have a lot to learn about using my EQ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wielkie dzięki Joasiu!!! Wielu rzeczy jeszcze w EQ7 nie potrafię,więc ten tutorial bardzo mi się przyda:) Jeszcze go nie przeczytałam,ale już widzę,że temat jak dla mnie jest bardzo odpowiedni. Jak będę miała jakieś dodatkowe pytania, to się zgłoszę:)Pozdrawiam i życzę powodzenia w nowej pracy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trzymam kciuki za pracę!
    Programu nie posiadam... nie umiem się wypowiedzieć, czy coś bym jeszcze z niego chciała. ALe jak się kiedyś dorobię -to na pewno! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your Tutorials on EQ7, very helpful!!! I am just beginning to teach myself how to EQ7 and I am trying to figure out how to get my designs onto my blog to show my followers, any suggestions as to where to look to learn the process?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there. Your tutorials are brilliant - clear and easy to follow. EQ7 should so commission you! I am working on a project at the moment which, if you were up for it, would really help me if you could do a tutorial on adding sashing to rectangle blocks. I have studied the help menu (which described the process as "easy" and "simple") but when they say press "ok" I couldn't find an ok button; or they would describe a process but not show the image or button to press.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...